Barrington, Sir Joseph (1764–1846), 1st baronet, merchant in Limerick, was born in that city 21 February 1764, only son of Matthew Barrington and Jane Barrington (née Canter), and set up business on Charlotte Quay. In 1830 he built Barrington's Quay on the north bank of the Shannon, and (with others) initiated land reclamation and the construction of embankments to allow the city to expand along the river. His success, and that of his son Sir Matthew Barrington (qv) (1788–1861), a lawyer for railway companies, enabled the family to establish a charitable institution in Limerick: after an act of parliament (1830), Barrington's Hospital opened in 1831. Joseph Barrington was created a baronet 30 September 1831, and died 10 January 1846. He married (1787) Mary Baggott of Limerick; they had five sons and two daughters.
Annual Reg., 1846; Burke, Peerage (1912), 185; Dom Hubert Janssens de Varebeke, ‘The Barringtons of Limerick’, N. Munster Antiq. Jn., vii, no. 3 (1956), 23–8