Byrne, Patrick (c.1782–1864), architect, was possibly the son of John Byrne, architect; his mother's name is not known. He entered the Dublin Society's schools in 1796, studied under Henry Aaron Baker (qv), and won premiums in 1797 and 1798. He exhibited architectural drawings, including a south-east view of the Custom House, Dublin (1818); two – showing the College Green frontages of the Bank of Ireland and TCD (1819) and the interior of the Royal Exchange (1834) – are in the NGI. Two drawings of St Patrick's cathedral were engraved for W. M. Mason's History and antiquities of the Collegiate and Cathedral Church of St Patrick (1820).
Byrne worked as a measurer, and subsequently as an architect, for the wide streets commissioners (1820–48). He is noted for his impressive post-emancipation catholic churches, including the classical Dublin churches of St Paul's, Arran Quay (begun 1835); St Audoen's, High St. (dedicated 1846), possibly his finest work; and the Church of Our Lady of Refuge, Rathmines, Co. Dublin (dedicated 1856), for which he used a Greek cross plan. He also designed the portico of St Francis's (Adam and Eve's), Merchant's Quay (begun 1830). Byrne introduced a more accurate and scholarly form of Gothic architecture into catholic church building in Ireland, building some of the earliest neo-Gothic catholic churches in Ireland, including St John the Baptist, Blackrock, Co. Dublin (foundation stone laid 1842), and several others in the Dublin area. He was a founder member of the Society of Irish Artists, held office in the RIAI (including the vice-presidency, 1855–64), became an RHA (1860), and was vice-patron of the Aged and Infirm Carpenters' Asylum (1842–7).
Of genial disposition and great integrity, Byrne was highly respected and had many friends. He lived for the last four years of his life at 41 Lower Gardiner St., Dublin. He died 10 January 1864 and is buried in the family plot in Glasnevin cemetery, Dublin. He married and had three sons, all architects, including Hugh, city architect 1840–67; his son John predeceased him (1863); his wife, whose name is unknown, survived him.