Casey, Charles Francis (‘Charlie’) (1895–1952), barrister, attorney general, and judge, was born 2 January 1895 in Dublin, second son among six children of Dr Charles Casey (d. 1911) of Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, and his wife Mary Genevieve (d. 1949), daughter of Matthew Conran of Ballitore, Co. Kildare. The family lived at 34 Upper Ormond Quay, Dublin. His mother's brother, Matthew Joseph Aloysius Conran, was professor of mathematics at UCC.
Educated at O'Connell Schools, Dublin, and Castleknock College (1908–10), Casey joined the British army in 1915 and served with the 16th (Irish) Division in France. In 1922, while studying law at the King's Inns, he joined the legal staff of the Free State army and was called to the bar in Michaelmas 1923. Leaving the army in 1924 to practise at the bar, he built up a substantial practice in civil and criminal law. Casey was involved in many important trials including the Sinn Féin funds case in 1947 (Buckley v. Attorney general, reported at 1IR 1950, 67), in which he appeared for the plaintiff with John A. Costello (qv) and Seán MacBride (qv). Particularly gifted in cross-examination, he took silk on 28 October 1941 and was created a bencher of the King's Inns in Michaelmas 1950. Returning officer at the election of the ESB manual workers arbitration tribunal (1945), he was author of the Casey report (1948) and chairman of the ESB wages tribunal (1949).
Appointed attorney general (21 April 1950–June 1951) by Costello, he succeeded Cecil Lavery (qv). Unusually for an Irish attorney general, Casey acted as a spokesman for the government on its decision not to introduce adoption legislation (February 1951), explicitly stating that the state should harmonise its legislation with the teaching of the catholic church on salvation, and that the strongest objection to legislation was the fear that legal adoption would facilitate proselytism. Appointed to the high court 15 June 1951 (the day Costello relinquished the seal of office), he remained on the bench until his death. Associated with Fine Gael from the foundation of the party, he was a member of the St Stephen's Green Club, the Kildare Street Club, and Portmarnock Golf Club. He died 6 November 1952 leaving estate valued at £1,918.
He married (8 August 1928) Helen Clarissa (d. 1997), daughter of John Hanlon, publican, of Cremorne House, Terenure, Co. Dublin. Hanlon's Corner on the North Circular Road is so named because of John Hanlon's pub. They had four daughters and four sons, and lived at Jerpoint, Elton Park, Sandycove, Co. Dublin.