Daly, Anne (1860–1924), superior general of the Sisters of Charity, Australia, was born 28 May 1860 in Tipperary, the ninth child of John Daly, blacksmith, and Mary Daly (née Cleary). Around 1865 the family emigrated to Australia and settled at Braidwood, New South Wales. Anne was educated privately at home. In May 1877 she applied to the Department of Public Instruction and was appointed assistant at Braidwood Catholic School. She received further training and taught at Newtown Girls’ School, Grafton Primary, and finally St Mary's Cathedral Girls’ School, Sydney. The last of these was run by the Sisters of Charity and she entered their congregation at St. Vincent's, Potts Point, on 28 May 1881, receiving the habit on 22 October 1881. She was professed on 3 January 1884 and took the religious name Sister Mary Berchmans. She continued to teach at St Mary's until December 1888 when she was appointed to the first foundation of the congregation in Melbourne, where she successfully ran St Patrick's School, Victoria Parade. In 1892 she was appointed superior of the Melbourne convent and made responsible for St Patrick's and four other primary schools established by the sisters between 1891 and 1897.
In 1893, the Melbourne mission extended its scope when a seven-bed St Vincent's Hospital was opened to tend the sick poor in the inner city. She assumed the position of rectress of the hospital, which she held for thirty years. Under her guidance, the hospital grew quickly, receiving government funding from 1903, and by 1905 had 120 beds. Mother Berchmans developed educational aspects of the medical work when she established a nurses’ training school, affiliated to the Royal Victorian Trained Nurses’ Association (1903), and the St Vincent's Clinical School, associated with the University of Melbourne (1910). She established a private hospital, Mount St Evins, in 1913.
In 1911 she was active in beginning the informative process for the beatification of Mother Mary Aikenhead (qv), founder of the Irish Sisters of Charity, from which the Australian congregation derived after a mission established in 1838. Mother Berchmans was elected superior general of the Australian congregation and returned to Sydney in 1920. In this role she oversaw the establishment of a hospital in Queensland (1920), two in New South Wales (Lismore, 1921 and Bathurst, 1922), and a clinical school at St Vincent's Hospital, Sydney. She remained as superior general until her death at St Vincent's Hospital, Sydney on 4 March 1924 after a two-month illness. She was buried at Rookwood cemetery, Sydney. A bronze bust unveiled in August 1935 commemorates her as the founder of St Vincent's Hospital, Melbourne, and in October 1960, this hospital opened the Berchmans Daly wing.