Everard, Patrick (c.1751–1821), catholic archbishop of Cashel and Emly, was born in or about 1751 in Fethard, Co. Tipperary. There is no certainty about the identity of his father, who probably was either a George Everard or a Patrick Everard, and is known to have been engaged in tanning and the leather trade in Fethard. His mother was an O'Meagher of Kilmoyler, Co. Tipperary. Having finished at the grammar school at Fethard, Patrick Everard studied for the priesthood at the Irish College at Salamanca from 1778. In May 1784 he was ordained in the church of San Ildefonso, Salamanca. About the same time he took his degree of DD. For a short period he was president of the Irish College at Salamanca till he decided to return to Ireland in 1785. On his way he halted at Bordeaux with the intention for a short stay with friends, but was asked to become the president of the Irish College there. He performed this task for ten years till the college was suppressed by the French revolutionary authorities in 1794. During this period he also was appointed vicar general by the imprisoned archbishop of Bordeaux, Mgr De Ceci, and entrusted with the administration of the archdiocese. In October 1793 Everard had a narrow escape from an armed mob which attempted to seize him. Thanks to the fact that his soutane was old and worn it tore off and remained in the hands of his assailants, giving Everard an opportunity to escape. Via Spain he managed to reach England safely. There he bought from the Jesuits their boarding-school at Ulverston, Lancashire, which he governed for the next fifteen years, educating the sons of the English catholic aristocracy.
On 29 June 1810 the Irish bishops appointed him president of Maynooth College. He got a special mandate to restore discipline among the students, in which he succeeded within a couple of months. In 1813 his delicate health forced him to resign office and he returned to Ulverston.
In October 1814 Everard was appointed coadjutor to Thomas Bray (qv), archbishop of Cashel and Emly, with the right of succession. On 23 April 1815 he was consecrated in Cork. Eventually, on 9 December 1820, he succeeded Bray. He was archbishop of Cashel and Emly for less than four months, as he died on 31 March 1821 and was buried in the parish church of St John the Baptist, Cashel. His grave is marked by two simple memorial stones: one in the floor bearing the inscription: ‘Beneath are the remains of Archbishop Everard’ and the other in the south wall of the church near the grave: ‘Beneath are the remains of Most Rev. Patrick Everard D.D., coadjutor archbishop 1814–1820, archbishop of Cashel and Emly 1820–1821’.
During his episcopacy Everard was on very good terms with protestants in general and with Charles Brodrick (qv), the Church of Ireland archbishop of Cashel, in particular. In his will, Patrick Everard bequeathed £10,000 for the establishment of a college at Thurles, Co. Tipperary, for the education of the catholic youth in general and of future priests in particular. As a result of this bequest St Patrick's College, Thurles, was opened in 1837. In the chapel of the college a marble bust was put up in his memory. There is also a portrait in the college, and another at Maynooth College.