Graisberry, Daniel (c.1740–1785), printer, was the son of William Graisberry, printer, of Drumcondra, Dublin, and Elizabeth Graisberry. Admitted to the Guild of St Luke (24 August 1775) after completing his apprenticeship under the king's printer, Hugh Grierson (qv), Graisberry entered into a loose partnership with the bookseller James Williams from early 1778 until March 1781. Graisberry concentrated on printing, while Williams concentrated on the retail business from premises at 10 Back Lane, which Graisberry also occupied at a rental of £45 a year (c.1775). Graisberry was injured at a guild meeting when the floor of the Music Hall in Fishamble St. collapsed (6 February 1782); his death had been mistakenly announced in the Dublin press in November 1772. He married (1765) Mary Kennedy; they had at least a dozen children before his death on 26 December 1785, just hours after that of his mother. Mary succeeded her husband in business, and in 1790 entered into partnership with her son-in-law Richard Campbell, who had married Elizabeth Graisberry (d. 1795) in October 1789. Mary retired in 1797. She died in February 1822 at Back Lane.
Daniel Graisberry (1777/8?–1822), printer and stationer, probably the eldest son of Daniel and Mary, succeeded his mother and opened a shop at 22 Capel St., Dublin, in April 1799, entering the printers guild in 1797. He closed the Capel St. shop in 1806, to concentrate on the family partnership with Campbell run from the Back Lane premises. The firm of Graisberry & Campbell was appointed printer to the Dublin Society in 1802, whose voluminous county surveys they were already publishing, and printer to the RIA in 1803, having published the Academy's Transactions since 1801. This pattern continued with the firm's appointment as university printer in 1807 after Graisberry personally signed a £500 bond (6 June 1807) limiting his output from TCD's printing press to works commissioned by and for the university. This involved printing thirty-one works during the partnership, twenty-four of them being textbooks for students. The firm's official title of ‘university printer’ seems to have been widely colloquially represented as ‘college printer’. The only output of wider significance was the continuation of Walker's edition of Livy, the seventh volume being completed in 1813. From 1815, Campbell seems to have managed the Back Lane business while Graisberry ran the college printing house. Campbell's name disappears from imprints in 1820, signifying his departure from the partnership. Graisberry married (May 1797) Ruth McCormack ; they had five daughters before his death in February 1822 at Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin.
Ruth Graisberry (d. 1842), printer, succeeded her husband as college printer in 1822 after successfully petitioning the college to retain her, with the backing of the leading figures in the capital's printing trade. The firm vacated their Back Lane premises before 1824 and Graisberry took Michael Gill (qv) into partnership with her in 1833. Apprenticed to the firm since he was 19, he had managed the college press since 1827 and became a full partner in 1833, eventually buying the business outright in 1837. Graisberry had suffered from a prolonged illness for some time and died sometime before 2 July 1842.
A small number of Graisberry & Campbell ledgers from the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries are held in TCD library. The 1797–1806 ledgers, concerning the Graisberry & Campbell partnership, detail how the printed output of the house closely reflected the prevailing political climate of the day, with titles corresponding closely to Bantry, 1798, the union, and the rising of Robert Emmet (qv) in 1803. Overall the ledgers illustrate the often complicated interrelationships between printers and practitioners from other branches of the trade, in particular illustrating the significant amount of jobbing printing that was undertaken alongside bookwork in most of the city's printing houses during this period.