Hall, George (1753–1811), clergyman and academic, was born in Northumberland, son of the Rev. Mark Hall, and was baptised on 14 May 1753 at Earsdon ‘by North Shields’ (distinguishing it from another Earsdon further north), and educated at the Free Grammar school, Newcastle upon Tyne. Nothing is known of his mother. Settling in Ireland early in life, Hall was an assistant master in Dr Darby's school at Loughgall, near Dublin and entered TCD in November 1770, beginning a distinguished career there. After becoming a scholar (1773) he graduated BA (1775), was elected a fellow (1777), and graduated MA (1778), BD (1786), and DD in 1790, becoming a senior fellow the same year. He served as Archbishop King's lecturer in divinity (1790–91), professor of history (1791), regius professor of Greek (1790, 1795), and Erasmus Smith professor of mathematics (1799–1800). He resigned his fellowship in 1800 and was presented by the college to the rectory of Ardstraw in the diocese of Derry.
He was provost of TCD for five years from 1806, a period marked by little apart from his ‘rather severe administration’ (McDowell & Webb, 79), though he was well regarded by his colleagues. In May 1810 he was appointed a commissioner to the Irish record commission, established by the house of commons to organise and preserve existing governmental and historical records housed in Dublin.
He was consecrated bishop of Dromore 17 November 1811, but died 23 November ‘by a putrid sore throat, which originated in a cold caught during the ceremony of his consecration’ (Historical account . . .) at the Provost's House, Dublin, before he could take up his new position. He was buried in the college chapel, where there is a Latin inscribed monument in his memory. There is a memorial to him in Ardstraw church, Newtownstewart, Co. Tyrone.