Healy, Augustine (Gus) Anthony (1904–87), politician, drama and sports enthusiast, was born 20 May 1904 in Castle Road, Blackrock, Cork, the second of two sons of Timothy Healy, collector for the Cork Gas Company, from Cork, and his wife, Pauline Groegor from Germany. A fall from his pram while an infant, unreported by his nurse, caused irreparable injury to his spine and left him short and hump-backed. He was educated at Our Lady's Mount, North Monastery, Cork. After leaving school he worked for a year in a saddlery in Leitrim Street, Cork, before training as a dental assistant under Isa Scher at Patrick's Hill. By 1938 he had his own business in Grand Parade, Cork. He was first elected to Cork corporation in 1943 as an independent candidate, joining Fianna Fáil in 1948. Elected to Dáil Éireann in February 1957, he lost his seat in 1961 but served in the Seanad for the following four years. He was re-elected to the Dáil in 1965 and remained a deputy until he retired in 1977. During his 20 years in the oireachtas, he held a number of positions: leas-cheann comhairle (deputy speaker) of the Dáil; council member and honorary treasurer of the Inter-Parliamentary Union; vice-chairman of the Irish/British parliamentary group; chairman of the Fianna Fáil parliamentary party; chairman of the electoral law reform all party committee (1959–60); and member of the committee of public accounts.
Twice lord mayor of Cork (1965–6; 1974–5), he was a member of Southern Health Board and the city of Cork VEC. He was chairman of the Cork film festival, which also included the Cork international choral and folk dancing festival, and director of the Cork Opera House. He was chairman and founder member of the Loft Cork Shakespearean company where he played the leading role in many Shakespeare plays. Many actors who performed at the Loft were initiated into the arts of acting through his efforts. He was chairman of the Cork Tóstal council from its inception in 1954, chairman of the former Cork advisory committee and regional director of the Ivernia Regional Tourist Company.
He took a prominent and active part in sport in Cork. He had a love of swimming and trained countless numbers of young swimmers in the swimming baths of Cork and in the seaside resorts of Myrtleville, Co. Cork. He pioneered organised swimming and was a life long chairman of the Sunday's Well swimming club. He became president of the Irish amateur swimming association in 1943 and later president of the Munster branch of the Irish Rugby Football Union. He was president of old Aloysius camogie club, Cork, for over thirty years. A director of the National Association for Cerebral Palsy, he was also chairman of its local branch, the Cork Spastic Clinic, and of the Cork branch of the Irish Red Cross. He was presented with the Larry McKenna memorial award for his contribution to the life of Cork city in November 1985 and the Healy swimming pool in Douglas was named in his honour. He married Rita McGrath on 4 February 1957 and they lived at the View, Montenotte, Cork and later at Church Road, Blackrock, Cork. They had no children. He died in the Cork Regional Hospital (later Cork University Hospital) on 10 July 1987. He is buried in St. Finbarr's cemetery, Cork.