Healy, Timothy Maurice (1898–1958), doctor, was born 5 May 1898 in Dublin, youngest child among three sons and three daughters of T. M. Healy (qv), MP and later first governor-general of the Irish Free State, and Erina Katherine Healy (née Sullivan). He was educated at Belvedere College, Dublin, Clongowes Wood College, Co. Kildare, and at UCD, graduating MB (NUI) in 1921.
Appointed assistant master (1924) of the Coombe Lying-in Hospital, he became a member (1927) of the RCPI and was elected fellow in 1928, the year in which he became the youngest master of the hospital. In 1930 the decision was taken to participate in the Irish Hospitals Sweepstakes, the proceeds of which cleared the overdraft and significantly improved the finances of the hospital. Energetic attempts to build a new hospital were frustrated, though in 1931 the purchase of 80 The Coombe provided greater facilities for the hospital; throughout his career, Healy remained committed to this aspiration (only realised in 1967, when a new hospital was built at Dolphin's Barn) and was a member of the building committee in 1951. On the termination of his mastership (1935), he remarked that the seven years system had one great advantage in that a master who had been good was ‘tired’ and a man who had not been good was ‘retired’ (Feeney, 65); he was appointed to the board of governors, and served as hon. consultant (1935–56) and senior visiting obstetrician and gynaecologist (1956–8). He was consulting gynaecologist to the Richmond Hospital (1936–58) and to St Anne's Skin and Cancer Hospital, Dublin.
He contributed articles to professional journals and was recognised as a leading obstetrician and gynaecologist in Ireland; elected vice-president and censor of the RCPI (1945–58), he served as examiner to TCD, UCD, the RCPI, the RCSI, and the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, London, of which he was a founding member (1929), and elected to fellowship in 1931.
A member of several golf clubs in Dublin and the Royal County Down in Newcastle, he attained a plus-two handicap and represented Ireland in home international matches against England and Scotland in 1931. A man of great charm, he was known for his pungent wit. He lived at 16 Fitzwilliam Square, Dublin, and died 28 January 1958 at St Anne's Hospital, and was buried in Glasnevin cemetery, Dublin.
He married (26 April 1922) Grace Binchy, medical doctor; they had two sons and two daughters. His eldest son, Dr Timothy Healy, became a pathologist at UCD; James Healy, a Jesuit priest, was president of Milltown Institute of Theology and Philosophy, Dublin, wrote The just wage 1750–1890: a study of moralists from St Alphonsus to Leo xiii (1966), and contributed articles to various journals.