Lloyd, Bartholomew (1772–1837), mathematician and provost of TCD, was born 5 February 1772 at New Ross, Co. Wexford, the eldest son of Humphrey Lloyd and his wife Margaret Borbidge. His father died soon afterwards and he was raised by his uncle, the Rev. John Lloyd (d. 1781), vicar of Ferns and rector of Kilbride. In 1787 he entered TCD as a pensioner, won a scholarship (1790), graduated BA (1792) and MA (1796), and was made a fellow of the college. After studying in the college's divinity school, he graduated BD (1805), was chosen as Donnellan lecturer (1807), and graduated DD (1808). In 1813, despite only being a junior fellow, he was appointed Erasmus Smith's professor of mathematics. He immediately began to reform the school of mathematics, introducing the methods and texts of French mathematicians such as Lacroix, Poisson, and Laplace, and encouraging tutors and students to keep abreast of the latest developments. He also served as college bursar (1816–19). Unusually he was also elected regius professor of Greek on three occasions (1821, 1823, and 1825), as well being appointed professor of natural and experimental philosophy (1822–31); he was also Archbishop William King lecturer in divinity in 1823 and 1827.
Appointed provost in 1831, he began a series of major reforms, reorganising the tutorial system, and exempting certain professors (including the professor of natural and experimental philosophy) from tutorial duties while also increasing their salaries. Initially he faced some opposition, partly because his son, Humphrey Lloyd (qv), was the preferred candidate to take up the chair of natural and experimental philosophy. Most later conceded that his reforms benefited the college: the increase in salaries meant that professors did not have to take additional posts to earn a living and therefore had the freedom to lecture and research. He opposed plans for the foundation of a new theological college in Dublin and reorganised the divinity school in 1833. In 1834 he introduced the three term system, established the distinction between pass and honours courses, and founded the chair of moral philosophy in 1837. He also initiated the establishment of the magnetic observatory and the erection of new buildings on Front Square.
Although he was criticised for not publishing more widely, some of his publications were of considerable significance, notably A treatise on analytic geometry (1819), which Sir William Rowan Hamilton (qv) claimed inspired him to decide on a scientific career. He also published Discourses, chiefly doctrinal, delivered in the Chapel of Trinity College, Dublin (1822) and An elementary treatise of mechanical philosophy (1826); other scientific and philosophical essays appeared in the Dublin Philosophical Journal and Scientific Review and the Transactions of the Royal Irish Academy. Possessing a weak voice, he was not an accomplished lecturer but was a popular examiner owing to the ‘paternal kindness of his manners’ (Gentleman's Magazine (1838)). Elected president of the British Association (1835) and the RIA (1835–7), he was a prominent figure in the Dublin scientific community, often holding informal conferences in his house. He died suddenly 24 November 1837 and was buried in the college chapel. There is a portrait of him in the provost's house in TCD, a marble bust in the Old Library and a memorial plaque in the college chapel. There is also an oil portrait by Martin Cregan (qv) in the RIA.
In July 1799 he married Eleanor, daughter of Patrick McLaughlin; they had four sons and six daughters. His eldest son Humphrey Lloyd was provost of TCD (1867–81).