Lombard, James Fitzgerald (1817–1901), land developer and businessman, was born in Gortatlea, Co. Kerry, second son among nine children of Roger Lombard, civil servant, from Gortatlea and Cork city, and his wife Jane, daughter of James Fitzgerald of Moviddy, Co. Cork. Little is known about Lombard's early life, but by the time he reached the age of 40 he had settled in South Hill, Co. Dublin, and from the late 1860s found himself playing a prominent role in Dublin's business community and in Ireland's transport industry. He was said to have been chairman at one time or another of over ten companies, and was one of six directors of Arnott's department store (1876–84), chairman of the newly formed Dublin United Tramways (from 1881), and sat on the boards of both the West and South Clare railway companies (1883–1901). In 1878 Lombard was one of twelve members of Dublin's chamber of commerce appointed to help redraft the regulations; he was involved in the decision to increase the council to twenty-seven members, nine of whom were to be elected each year, marking a new era in the chamber's history. The 1870s witnessed a type of ‘changing of the guard’ in the chamber, and Lombard was prominent in the new breed of businessmen more closely related to the trades, transport, and commerce of the city.
Owing to his wealth and business connections, Lombard became a major landowner and developer in Dublin. From 1872 he joined forces with Sir John Arnott (qv) to develop housing off the South Circular Road between Harrington St. and Clanbrassil St.; Lombard St. West in that area is named after him. During the 1870s, he and Edward MacMahon purchased much of the land north of O'Connell St., stretching into Drumcondra, and built hundreds of terraced houses in the vicinity of Eccles St. and Blessington St. Consequently, he took a keen interest in the development of Drumcondra and was one of the key promoters of the Clonliffe, Drumcondra, and Glasnevin township act (1878). Lombard served as chairman of the township's commissioners (1878–81), and in this capacity he improved street lighting, implemented the Drumcondra drainage scheme (laying the first pipe on 20 October 1881), and ensured that Drumcondra was well served by the city trams, which directly contributed to its growth. Lombard was MRIA (elected 12 April 1875), knight of the Légion d'honneur (1871), and active member of the Royal Horticultural Society of Ireland, where he sat on the council and won hundreds of awards, including first prize for his tulips, gladioli, and roses (1864). He died in 1901 while living in South Hill, Co. Dublin.
Lombard married first Margaret (d. 8 February 1871), daughter of Patrick Hussey of Castleisland, Co. Kerry; they had twins, James William (1845–1926) and Mary Julia (1845–1900). He married secondly (20 October 1873) Sarah (d. 1892), daughter of Professor Michael Barry, solicitor, from Cork; they had one child, Maj. Roger Edward Fitzgerald (1878–1951). He married thirdly (September 1896) Sarah Agnes (d. 14 March 1925).