Ó Scanaill, Máel Pátraic (Patricius) (d. 1270), bishop of Raphoe and archbishop of Armagh, was probably a member of the Ó Scanaill family from Connacht. A Dominican, he may have been a member of the priory at Dundalk (Co. Louth). He was elected to the bishopric of Raphoe in November 1253 at the behest of Rainaldo, archbishop of Armagh, then at the papal curia. Archbishop Rainaldo secured the retirement of the former bishop, Máel Ísu Ua Doirig (who complained of infirmity) and Ó Scanaill's elevation to the see.
Ó Scanaill was consecrated bishop of Raphoe on 30 November 1253 at the Franciscan church at Dundalk. Shortly afterwards he was appointed vicar general to Armagh during the archbishop's absence. He seems to have visited Rome during the spring of 1356 and there received a commission from Alexander IV to root out dangerous heresies in his diocese, using whatever means necessary and with the aid of his Dominican brethren. In March 1261 he was elected archbishop of Armagh; he visited Rome the following August to receive papal approval and was confirmed archbishop on 5 November that year. In January 1262 he held his first provincial council at Drogheda, where he promulgated the decision of Urban IV to refuse to allow the bishop of Meath, Hugh de Taghmon (qv), to have his diocese exempted from the authority of Armagh. He also used this verdict to assert his primatial claims. During the same council, which was also attended by the clergy of Tuam and various members of the Dublin administration, he succeeded in extracting a concession from the crown that his presence in royal courts and parliaments held outside his province was deemed unnecessary, and that instead he might be represented by a subordinate as his primacy was not recognised by the archbishop of Dublin. In November 1263 Ó Scanaill and Taghmon were nominated by the holy see to attempt to collect the money which the papal tax collector in Ireland, John de Frosinone (qv), had raised but never lodged with Rome. Ó Scanaill's efforts did not meet with papal approval, and he was reminded of his duty in this regard by Clement IV in May 1266. Sometime between 1263 and 1264 he founded a Franciscan monastery at Armagh, and in 1265 he began work on a new cathedral in the city. In April 1265 he concluded an agreement with the clergy of Meath over the vexed issue of metropolitan visitations, and in November that year held a second provincial synod at Drogheda. His dispute over conflicting jurisdictional claims with the earl of Ulster, Walter de Burgh (qv), necessitated a visit to the English court (1269), where his rights were confirmed by Henry III. He died at St Leonard's priory at Dundalk on 16 March 1270 and was buried in the Dominican priory at Drogheda.