Palliser, William (1646–1727), Church of Ireland archbishop of Cashel, was the second of three sons of Yorkshire parents, Thomas Palliser of Newby-upon-Wiske and his wife, Joan, daughter of Richard Frankland of Blobberhouse. He was educated at Northallerton, and entered TCD on 13 January 1661. The date of his BA is not recorded, but he graduated BD in 1674 and DD in 1679. He became a fellow of the college in 1668 and professor of divinity in 1678. He was ordained deacon in November 1669, and priest on 28 January 1670. In October 1681, on accepting the rectory of Clonfeacle, Co. Tyrone, he resigned his fellowship at Trinity, but almost immediately afterwards resigned the rectory and resumed his fellowship.
At Trinity he was tutor to William Molyneux (qv) and he later joined the Dublin Philosophical Society, being especially active in a sub-group concerned with theological matters and religious proofs. He interested himself in the life and writings of Bishop William Bedell (qv), and was responsible for procuring from the bishop's son a manuscript life of Bedell, which was printed in 1872. He was said to be preparing a theological work for the press in 1693, but his only known publication is a sermon of 1678.
Although the lord lieutenant, Clarendon (qv), recommended him in 1686 for the provostship of Trinity College or a bishopric, he had to wait some further years for promotion. He was consecrated bishop of Cloyne on 14 February 1693, and in June 1694 was translated to the see of Cashel, which he held until his death. In his lifetime he made gifts of money for building in Trinity College and in his will gave the college the choice of such books from his library as it wanted; it took more than 4,000 volumes.
He married Mary (d. 1735), widow of William Greatrakes (who was probably a son of Valentine Greatrakes (qv)) of Affane, Co. Waterford; her parents were Jonah Wheeler of Greenan, Co. Kilkenny, and Dorcas, daughter of Sir Philip Percival (qv). He died 1 January 1727 and was buried at St Andrew's church in Dublin. The archbishop and his wife had a daughter and a son, William (1695–1768), who married Mary Pennefather, an heiress, daughter of Matthew Pennefather, MP for Cashel, accountant and auditor general; the Pennefathers and the archbishop were the principal interests in the borough of Cashel in the early eighteenth century. William Palliser junior built the mansion at Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin, which later became the Loreto Convent.
Thomas Palliser (1661–1756), a son of the archbishop's elder brother, came to Ireland in the army of the duke of Schomberg (qv). He was high sheriff of Co. Wexford in 1700, and was granted Great Island in that county in 1702. John Palliser, a son of the archbishop's younger brother, was chancellor of the diocese of Cloyne in 1771.