Parry, William Kaye- (1853–1932), architect and civil engineer, was born 28 June 1853 in Monkstown, Co. Dublin, son of William Parry, hotel proprietor in Salthill, Co. Dublin. Christened ‘William Kaye Parry’ at birth, he later hyphenated his middle and last names, legally changing his surname to ‘Kaye-Parry’ (29 November 1905). Educated at TCD, he graduated BA (1873), BAI (1875), and MA (1879), during which time he was also articled with the Dublin architect John J. McCurdy (November 1870–November 1873). He excelled at his studies, obtaining first place in practical engineering and receiving special certificates in this and in mechanical and experimental physics. While training he may have lived with his father in Salthill, but by 1882 he had taken up residence at 1 Tivoli Parade, Kingstown (Dún Laoghaire); he remained in Kingstown until his retirement in 1927. He set up a private engineering and architectural practice in Dublin (1877–99), where he had offices at 12 Westland Row (1878–82), 4 Nassau St. (1882–6), 42 Dame St. (1886–91), and 35 Dame St. (1891–9). During this time he developed a strong interest in sanitation and public health, and pursued a personal course of study on sewerage, plumbing, and domestic sanitation. Consequently, he became one of the foremost sanitary authorities in Ireland.
By the late nineteenth century it was well known that proper sanitation and effective sewage disposal could dramatically reduce death rates, so his expertise was in demand. He completed the sewerage and plumbing schemes for most of Dublin's main hospitals including the Richmond Lunatic Asylum (1889), Blue Coat Hospital (1890), St Vincent's, and Cork Street Fever Hospital. He was one of the founders and chief engineer of the Dublin Sanitary Association (1883–90), designed the Blackrock baths (1886), worked as consulting engineer to the Ulster Sanitary Association (1890–92), and acted as surveyor of the Kingstown estate (1889–1903). Not neglecting his architectural training, he also designed the methodist church, Inchicore (1886), and won first prize for his design for the new Alexandra School, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin (1888–9).
In 1899 he moved offices to 63 Dawson St. and took up partnership with George Murray Ross, CE, creating the firm of Kaye Parry & Ross (changed to Kaye-Parry & Ross after 1905), architects and civil engineers; in 1900 they set up a second office in Westminster, London, but little is known of their British commissions. From then on, all of Kaye-Parry's work was done in conjunction with Ross, and together they worked on numerous sanitary engineering projects across Ireland: they were chief engineers to the Blackrock and Kingstown main drainage boards and consulting engineers to the Killiney and Clontarf urban councils, planned the main drainage schemes for Armagh (1901), Maynooth, Malahide, Tullamore (1901), and Mitchelstown (1906), designed the Howth (1906–7), Kinsale (1909), and Maynooth water works, and were responsible for the Kingstown (1906), Warrenpoint (1906), Bangor, and Iveagh Trust baths. The firm won several prizes, including first place for their plans to widen the bridge over the Dodder at Ballsbridge, and they designed the Kingstown library (1900) and pavilion (1902), an edifice for the Dublin International Exhibition (opened 1907), the Norwich Union Insurance Offices, Dublin, and dozens of other buildings, houses, and sanitary schemes.
Throughout his life, Kaye-Parry was a member of many associations including both the Institution of Civil Engineers (elected full member 28 November 1899) and the ICEI, before which he presented numerous papers, mostly on sewage disposal. He was a member (elected 4 June 1883), fellow (16 December 1893), vice-president (1914–16), president (1917–19), and ex officio officer (1920–32) of the RIAI and frequently read papers on main drainage, the business side of architecture, and on general sanitation. He was a member of the British Institution of Public Health, examiner for diploma in public health at Dublin University, and a Fellow of the Royal Sanitary Association. He was also a fellow of the Royal Institution of British Architects (15 May 1899) until 1927, when he allowed his membership to lapse. In 1921 he was in a serious accident, breaking his thigh in two places; from this he never quite recovered. In 1927, after spending thirty-eight years at 6 Charlemont Terrace, Kingstown, he retired to London, where he died of pneumonia on 10 November 1932 at 36 Delaware Mansions, Paddington.
He was married, and had at least two sons: his eldest, Maj. Eric Kaye-Parry, graduated from TCD with a BAI (1908) and joined the Royal Engineers, while Lieut. Stanley Kaye-Parry received a BA from TCD (1913) and was in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers; both served in the first world war, and Eric was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre (1918). Kenneth Kaye-Parry, who also earned a BA from TCD in 1913, was almost certainly their brother.
A series of William's public health lectures delivered to the RDS were published in 1884, and Office management, his admirable treatise on the practical aspects of running an architectural firm, was published in London in 1901.