Pim, Jonathan Ernest (1858–1949), judge and attorney general for Ireland, was born 2 May 1858 at Monkstown, Co. Dublin, eldest among three sons and six daughters of Thomas Pim of Greenbank, Monkstown, company director of Pim Brothers & Co., a substantial Dublin firm, and Susan Pim (née Evans). He appears to have been educated locally and at TCD, where he matriculated and graduated with a BA as a senior moderator in modern literature (1881). He entered Gray's Inn in 1882, was called to the Irish bar in 1886, and established a large practice, particularly in chancery and commercial cases. In 1909 he became a KC and was also retained in a number of important cases during this period. Always a liberal in politics, he was appointed solicitor general for Ireland (20 June 1913) and then attorney general for Ireland (1 July 1914). However, he was replaced as attorney general on the formation of a new coalition government on 8 June 1915, but was nominated to serve on the Sankey Committee (which adjudicated on internment in the aftermath of the 1916 rising) and was appointed justice of the high court, king's bench division. He remained in this position until June 1924, when, along with five other judges, he retired with the introduction of a new courts system, which had been established by the courts of justice act. He also served as commissioner of charitable donations and bequests. He had a lengthy and distinguished career in the legal profession, and his continued position as a senior judge in the early 1920s facilitated the transition towards a new court system in the Irish Free State.
His principal residences were at Greenbank, Monkstown, Co. Dublin; 10 Herbert St., Dublin; and 4 Burlington Road, Dublin. He enjoyed a number of distinctions, becoming president of the Philosophical Society at TCD (1883), a member of the Stephen's Green Club (1905), a prominent member of the Dublin Liberal Association, an MRIA (1918), and a trustee of the NLI (1924). He was unmarried and had no children. He died in his home at 4 Burlington Road, Dublin, on 22 April 1949.