Power, John Wyse (1859–1926), nationalist and journalist, was born at Knock House near Waterford city, eldest son of James Power, a prosperous farmer, and Catherine Power (née Wyse). Educated locally and at Blackrock College, Co. Dublin, he joined the civil service in 1878 but soon became sympathetic to the Land League (established October 1879) and was expelled from the civil service in April 1881 after he became a vice-president of the IRB-patronised Young Ireland Society. He denounced Gladstone as a tyrant for suppressing the Land League (20 October 1881) and was arrested under the protection act and imprisoned without trial in Naas, Co. Kildare, on 6 December for attending a Ladies’ Land League in Baltinglass, Co. Wicklow, in the capacity of a reporter. Released on 30 March 1882, he soon began working for the Leinster Leader (Naas) and became its editor on 30 June 1883. Five days later he married Jennie O'Toole (Jennie Wyse Power (qv)), a former activist in the Ladies’ Land League. At the time of his marriage, he lived at 12 Upper Mount Pleasant Avenue, Rathmines, Dublin.
Joining the Society for the Protection of the Irish Language, he assisted John Fleming (qv) in editing the Gaelic Journal during the mid to late 1880s. He was also a founder of the GAA, being elected one of its three secretaries at its first convention (1 November 1884) and was reputedly a member of the IRB. A founder and first president of the county board of the Dublin GAA (established October 1886), he disappointed his IRB friends by generally siding with the Freeman's Journal (for which he worked as sub-editor from early 1885) during the clerical–republican controversies in the GAA the following year. During the mid to late 1880s he lived at 7 Royal Terrace, Fairview, where three of his children, Kathleen (d. 1887), Marie, and Nancy, were born.
In March 1891, together with Edmund Dwyer Gray (qv), he helped found the Parnell Leadership Fund, but left the Freeman that autumn to help establish the Irish Daily Independent (16 December 1891). During 1892 he became editor of the new Evening Herald, settled in Westland Row, where his son Charles was born, acted as a patron of the Irish National Amnesty Association (established 26 August 1892) and became a close friend and confidant of F. J. Allan (qv), P. N. Fitzgerald (qv), and other IRB leaders. During the later 1890s his family lived in Dalkey. After John Redmond (qv) sold the Independent to an English firm in February 1899, he became an editor with the Evening Telegraph and, together with his wife, established the Irish Farm Produce Company on 21 Henry St., a shop and restaurant (which also became their home) frequented mostly by Gaelic League and IRB enthusiasts, including Arthur Griffith (qv), John MacBride (qv), and Seán T. O'Kelly (qv), among many others. Always a well-known figure in Dublin nationalist and literary circles, Power was an active member of the Gaelic League (established 31 July 1893), served for several years as a member of the executive of Cumann na nGaedheal (established September 1900) and was an outspoken opponent of the royal visits of the early to mid 1900s, allegedly being the author of the popular Dublin expression, ‘kiss my royal arse’. A friend of James Joyce (qv), he was the basis of the character ‘John Wyse Nolan’ in Ulysses (1922).
As co-editor of the Evening Telegraph, he was also relied on to report the activities of the IRB veterans’ association, the Old Guard Union, and to write appreciative obituaries of the Fenian dead. Possibly for this reason, although Power did not join Sinn Féin or the Irish Volunteers, Thomas J. Clarke (qv) decided to have the 1916 proclamation signed in his home. He took no actual part in the rising (during which his house was shelled and destroyed by the British army), though his wife Jennie and daughter Nancy provided supplies to the men in the GPO. He was badly affected by his own declining health and by the death from asthma (19 July 1916) of his daughter Marie, a distinguished scholar and teacher (later made the subject of a memorial plaque in University Church, St Stephen's Green), and thereafter he withdrew from journalism and public life. He died of pneumonia at his rebuilt home, 21 Henry St., on 29 May 1926, survived by his wife Jennie, a Free State senator, his daughter Nancy, a civil servant, and his son, Charles Stewart, a circuit court judge. His funeral mass at the pro-cathedral was attended by W. T. Cosgrave (qv), president of the executive council, and he was buried alongside his daughter in Glasnevin cemetery.