Putland, Charles (1785–1859), landowner, was probably born in Co. Wicklow, youngest son of George Putland (qv), landowner and politician, and Constance Putland (née Evans), niece of the 2nd Baron Carbery. Charles was educated at home and TCD, where he graduated BA in 1804. That year he entered King's Inns, but never practised as a barrister. In 1812 he married Constance Massy (d. 1842) and lived for a time in Blarney, Co. Cork, where he gave a site and £100 in cash for the building of a catholic church. He may also have resided for a time in Rathmore House, Tullow, Co. Carlow. After inheriting the family estates at the age of 56, he proved a committed, progressive landlord, greatly interested in agricultural improvement. In 1845, at the start of the famine, he wrote to the Freeman's Journal reporting the results of his experiments for combating blight. The following year he was experimenting with new strains of wheat; his excellent early wheat was praised by the Freeman's Journal in 1849, as were his proposals for encouraging employment by modifying the poor law rating system. His political views were equally progressive, given his class. He had voted for the liberal/repealer ticket in a Dublin city election in 1835, and when Daniel O'Connell (qv) passed through Bray in 1845, Putland was only prevented by illness from being on the welcoming platform. He sent his apologies to the meeting, gave all his men a day's holiday, and authorised the cutting of greenery from his shrubberies to decorate the town. In 1849 he granted an unsolicited 25 per cent rent reduction to his Wicklow tenants; however, he failed to prevent the growth of a slum area at the strand near the boathouse on his estate.
Despite the strictures in his brother's will, in 1847 Putland sold off much of the valuable library commenced by his great-grandfather, and in 1850 he disposed of the family residence, Sans Souci, which was bought by the Loreto order for more than £7,000. The family lived in their second residence, Bray Head House. Putland House in Lower Mount St., Dublin, was rented to a convent after 1856. Although the Putland estates had suffered financial pressures owing to the post-1815 depression and the famine, the family's historian does not consider these to have been very serious as the estates remained generally intact and successive family members left sizeable sums in their wills. It seems likely that Charles was simply less interested in culture than his brother and was motivated by a desire to consolidate. Charles Putland died on 25 December 1859, leaving assets of £25,000. He had seven children.
His eldest son, Charles Putland (1813–76), landowner, did not follow his father, uncle, and grandfather to Trinity. As a young man he got into financial difficulties, and local Bray tradition refers to his gambling debts as a factor in the sale of Sans Souci. In June 1857 he made headlines when he was charged with knocking unconscious, at Bray railway station, a Mr John Edwards who was paying unwelcome addresses to his sister. He lived at Sarsfield Court, Cork, but returned to Bray after his father's death. He continued his father's policies, reducing rent when tenants' cattle died, financially encouraging the fertilising and draining of land, contributing to the extension of the catholic chapel in Blarney, and supporting the local national school. In March 1861 he opened access to Bray Head but withdrew this two months later, after a fire broke out on his lands. He contributed to the building boom in Bray, opening (1862) a road in his demense from Newcourt-Vevay to the strand (initially called Newcourt Road, it was later renamed Putland Road) and leasing the one-acre Elsinore (Strand Hotel) site for the construction of sea-front residences.
In 1864 he was high sheriff of Co. Wicklow and in 1869 a Bray town commissioner. As a founder member of the Bray Hunt Club (1872), he hosted their point-to-point races on his lands. After petitioning the landed estates court in 1872, he sold his Carlow lands for £23,000 but maintained his estates in Cork, Queen's Co., Tipperary, and Kilkenny. He died at the Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin on 2 October 1874. He married first Charlotte Christian (1814/15–1847), daughter of a naval captain, with whom he had four children; and secondly (1849) Georgina, daughter of Sir James Anderson, with whom he had three daughters. Only four children survived him, and the estate passed to his only son George (1841–76), who died two years later. He was the last of the male Putlands, and after seven generations in Ireland the name died with him. His elder sister, Charlotte (d. 1887), who married the Rev. John West Neligan, inherited the estate and immediately divided it in equal portions with her two half-sisters; their lands in four counties then covered 9,703 acres.