Shanley, John Patrick (1895–1996), paediatric surgeon and Dublin city coroner, was born 17 September 1895 in Dublin, eldest child among two sons and two daughters of Peter Shanley, commercial traveller and later draper, of 37 Goldsmith St., Dublin, and Mary Shanley (née Kelly) of 109 Great Britain St. (Parnell St.), Dublin. John, his brother, and two sisters spent their childhood years living above their father's drapers’ premises, first at 109 Great Britain St., and then above the larger premises along the street at no. 114. He attended the Christian Brothers O'Connell School, and in October 1914 matriculated into UCD. He received his MB, B.Ch., and BAO with first-class honours in October 1919, and was appointed a resident doctor at the Richmond Hospital. He simultaneously pursued further studies at UCD and completed a diploma in public health, a B.Sc. (hons), in pathology, and a first-class honours MD in medicine and pathology (the latter in 1922). From 1920 to 1923 he was acting resident medical officer for the South Dublin Union.
He was also a medical officer to the Dublin Brigade of the IRA, and during the civil war in July 1922 had to flee from the Hammam Buildings over the rooftops of Upper Sackville St. (O'Connell St.) to the Gresham Hotel to avoid capture by Free State troops. In 1923 he was appointed assistant surgeon to the Children's Hospital, Temple St., and to St Mary's Hospital, Cappagh, a tuberculosis and orthopaedic hospital. In the late 1920s he became involved in the development of the Irish Hospital Sweepstakes out of concern for financial problems at the Cappagh hospital. He joined the first IFS Hospital Sweepstakes Fund Committee, eventually becoming vice-chairman, and held that position until the closure of the sweepstakes in 1987. He was senior surgeon at Baldoyle, Cappagh, and Temple St. hospitals, and served on the medical board of the last for forty years. In recognition of his pioneering status as a paediatric surgeon, he was elected an honorary member of the British Association of Paediatric Surgeons in 1953. From 1933 he combined his hospital appointments with the position of Dublin city deputy coroner, and became the coroner in 1964. He retired from this position in December 1965.
In 1927 he was involved with the establishment of the Irish Medical Association and was its first chairman. He was also one of the first members of the Irish Red Cross Society (founded July 1939) and served as president 1946–7. He served on the central council for over thirty years and co-authored the society's first-aid and home nursing manuals. In 1970 he was awarded the Bonn Uachtaráin na hÉireann for his work with the Red Cross. He was also made a chevalier of the Order of St George. Shanley died, aged 100 years, on 21 July 1996, and was buried in Glasnevin cemetery. His wife, Dr Una O'Hara (m. 27 January 1932), a resident house officer in Temple St., died in a car accident in 1974. They resided at 17 Merrion Square, Dublin.