Ua Cáellaide, Áed (d. 1182), Augustinian canon and bishop of Clogher–Louth, came from a family that had perhaps originally belonged to Éoganacht Chaisil; some members of the family had become kings of Uí Buide in Lóigis–Osraige. He was appointed (1138) to the diocese of Clogher–Louth by Malachy (qv), archbishop of Armagh, in succession to Malachy's brother Gilla-Críst Ua Morgair. The first foundation in Ireland of Augustinian canons regular of Arrouaise, St Mary's, was established at Louth by Malachy and Donnchad Ua Cerbaill (qv) in 1142, Áed being installed as the first abbot. At the request of Donnchad, Malachy granted all the territory of Louth that lay within the archdiocese of Armagh to the diocese of Clogher. Áed transferred his cathedral church from Clogher to Louth; in effect the diocese of Clogher became the diocese of Louth.
In 1166 Diarmait Mac Murchada (qv) granted Baldoyle (Ballidubgail), with all its men and appurtenances, to ‘Edanus’, bishop of Louth, for the use of the Augustinian canons of All Hallows, Dublin. In the text Áed is described as Mac Murchada's spiritual father and confessor: his family had fostered Diarmait. The charter was witnessed by Archbishop Lorcán Ua Tuathail (qv), archbishop of Dublin. This grant was subsequently reconfirmed to Gilla Meic Liac (qv), archbishop of Armagh by King Henry II (qv) in 1172 and on several subsequent occasions.
Áed resigned his see in May 1178. His obituary occurs under 24 August in the necrology of the Benedictine house of San Savino in Piacenza, where he is described as Edanus Lugdunensis episcopus et prior canonicorum monachorum et sanctimonialium per Hiberniam (bishop and prior of the canons, monks and nuns of Ireland). It may have been inserted there by an Irish Augustinian canon on a mission to Rome following the irregular election of John Cumin (qv) as archbishop of Dublin, which the Arroasian canons of Holy Trinity, Dublin, may have disputed.