Webb, George (1581–1642), Church of Ireland bishop of Limerick, was the son of Hugh Webb, rector of Bromham in Wiltshire. He matriculated at University College, Oxford, on 7 April 1598, and graduated from Corpus Christi College as BA on 13 February 1602, as MA on 23 June 1605, then being in holy orders, and as DD on 17 December 1623. In 1605 he became, by the favour of the earl of Pembroke, minister of Steeple Ashton in Wiltshire, where he taught at a grammar school. He was rector of the parish of St Peter and St Paul in Bath (1621–34). In 1625 he became chaplain to Charles I. Ware describes him as ‘a person of strict life and conversation, and greatly distinguished in the court of king Charles, the first for his preaching, and the smoothness and elegance of his stile’ (Whole works). He published a number of theological works and sermons in the course of his career. His Practice of quietness, a collection of his sermons, ran into six editions from initial publication in 1615. In 1629 he translated the Andria and the Eunuch of Terence into English.
Recommended by Archbishop William Laud, he was appointed bishop of Limerick on the express wishes of the king in October 1634 and was consecrated on 18 December following. Very little is known about his time as bishop. Presumably, he promoted the controversial Laudian reforms imposed on the Church of Ireland from 1634. In 1638, the government proposed his transfer to the see of Waterford and Lismore but he preferred to remain in Limerick. Following the outbreak of the catholic insurrection of October 1641, he assisted the authorities in preparing Limerick for a rebel assault. In mid May 1642, he and the other protestants in the city fled into King John's Castle which was then besieged. He fell ill and died there on 22 June 1642. The protestants surrendered the next day at which time his body was buried in St. Munchin's graveyard. Some days later his remains were dug up by rebel soldiers seeking booty, mutilated and re-interred with the body of a dead dog. Webb had married and had sons called George and Theophilus.