Alment, Mary Martha (1834–1908) artist, was born 9 April 1834 at St Mary's Abbey, Dublin, the daughter of William F. Alment, who was the son of John Alment (1740?–1787), a huguenot scientific and mathematical instrument maker. Mary studied art at the RDS School of Design under Henry MacManus (qv) who organised the school's first classes for women. She favoured watercolour as a medium and became known primarily for her landscapes, although she also produced some portraits. A regular exhibitor with the RHA from 1858 to 1908, she also exhibited with the Watercolour Society of Ireland, the Dublin Sketching Club, the RDS Art Exhibition (1858), the Exhibition of Fine and Ornamental Art (Dublin 1861) and the Irish Artisans' Exhibition (Dublin, 1885). In 1888 three of her landscapes were featured in the Irish Exhibition in London.
Much of her exhibited work depicts views of Dublin and north Wicklow (the Dodder river was a favourite location), and from 1873 she painted several scenes from north Wales and made regular visits there. Few of her works can now be located. She had studios at 29 and 54 Dawson St, Dublin, and for many years lived at 47 Carysfort Avenue, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, with her niece Elizabeth Alment (1868–1962), who was also an artist and an RHA exhibitor. Both women taught art in Dublin; Elizabeth also taught at the French School in Bray. Mary died at her home 11 April 1908.