Anderson, Sir Robert (1837–1921), 1st baronet, businessman, was born 1 December 1837, probably in Ballybay, Co. Monaghan, son of James Anderson of Ballybay and Elizabeth Anderson (née Ker) of Newbliss. At 15 he joined the firm of John Arnott (qv) in Belfast, where he and John B. McAuley later founded the well known drapery and department store of Anderson & McAuley. He was prominent in Belfast business life as chairman of the directorates of Arnott & Co.; Milfort Weaving Co.; William Ross & Co., Spinners; City Estates Ltd; Vulcanite Ltd; and the Baltic Firewood Co. He represented St Anne's ward on the city council from 1894, and as high sheriff of the city was knighted (1903). He was lord mayor 1907–9; when in 1914 the lord mayor, R. J. McMordie, died in office, Anderson was appointed and served till April 1915. He opened a factory in Monaghan, and as high sheriff of that county (1911) was created a baronet. He was active in presbyterianism and in temperance work, supported the YMCA, and was also a keen farmer and stockbreeder on his estate in Monaghan. Anderson married (1890) Wilhelmina, daughter of Rev. Andrew Long of Co. Donegal; they had no children.
Ir. Times, 18 July 1921; WWW