Angulo, Philip de
An opportunity to obtain redress seemed to present itself when in 1220 Walter son of Hugh de Lacy (qv) invaded Bréifne and captured the Lough Oughter crannóg of his erstwhile allies, the Ua Raghallaigh lords of Machaire Gaileng. De Lacy made a grant of Bréifne to Philip, a speculative grant to include the territory from Lough Oughter to the Shannon. Three stone castles were to be built for Philip, including one at Clogh Oughter on the shore of the lake. However, it would appear that effective control of the castles was vested in William Gorm (the blue), a brother of Walter de Lacy. This Anglo-Norman intervention was overturned in 1226 and the castle of Clogh Oughter taken by Ua Raghallaigh.
A failed attempt to re-establish their position seven years later spelled the end of the Bréifne enterprise for Philip and the de Lacys. None the less, Miles son of Philip managed to erect a castle at Áth an Chip near Carrick-on-Shannon (1245), only to be expelled two years later by the Connacht dynast Áed O'Connor (qv). The descendants of Philip and Miles became the later Nangle lords of Navan.