Ashworth, Charles Herbert (1862–1926), architect, was born 18 May 1862 in Liverpool, Lancashire, England, son of Alfred Ashworth, and educated at Chester and Liverpool, where he served his articles. He settled in Dublin c.1885, was engaged by Thomas N. Deane (qv) on drawings of the National Museum and the National Library, and was clerk of works till their completion. In July 1890 Ashworth was appointed architect of the Dublin Artisans' Dwelling Company, which was pioneering the provision of distinctive, well designed, one- and two-storeyed houses for the working classes throughout the city, including the Coombe, Portobello Basin, and Kingstown (Dún Laoghaire). In this role he gave meticulous attention to the smallest details of design, construction, and maintenance. He also had an extensive private practice, which included the design of the Bank of Ireland (St Stephen's Green), the Royal Bank of Ireland (Dolphin's Barn), bakeries, and factories; and was architect to the Gaiety Theatre and the Theatre Royal.
Elected a member of the RIAI (1891), he became hon. treasurer (1903–5), fellow (1906), and member of the council (1903–14); he was a member (1896), vice-president (1900–02), president (1903–4), and committee member (1904–6) of the AAI, and associate member (1894), member (1899), and council member (1907–9, 1911–12) of the ICEI; he was elected fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1906. Modest, pleasant, and always courteous, he was a member of the St Stephen's Green Club and the Hibernian Catch Club. He lived at 11 Northbrook Rd and died in Dublin, 10 January 1926. He married (1902) Harriet Beckett; they had at least two daughters.