Ball, Nicholas (c.1540–1610), merchant, mayor of Dublin, and MP, was born in Dublin about 1540, the second of the three sons of Bartholomew Ball, a merchant, and his wife, Margaret (qv) (née Bermingham). He had considerable property in Dublin, including a large house in Wood Quay and a water-mill in Patrick Street, as well as a house and lands at Lunderstown, Co. Meath. He also drew a large income from tenanted agricultural land. He was master of the Merchants’ Guild in 1584–5 and 1592–3.
Ball was sheriff of Dublin in 1570–71, was elected alderman in 1574, served as mayor in 1582–3, and was returned as MP for the city in 1585. At the personal expense of £300 he built a schoolhouse and a poorhouse; he was also involved in a project to build a tower on the bar at the harbour mouth. Like his mother, who about 1584 died in prison where she had been put for recusancy, and unlike his elder brother, Walter Ball (qv), who put her there, Nicholas Ball remained a firm catholic. He died 25 February 1610 and was buried at St Audoen's, Dublin. In his will, which has been printed, he left money to priests. He married Begnett Luttrell of Co. Dublin; they had two sons, one of whom, Bartholomew (1579?–1643), survived to adulthood, became a lawyer and had property at Spricklestown, Co. Dublin.