Barry, Alice Mary (c.1880–1955), doctor, was born in Cork, daughter of Richard Barry. Little is known of her early life. Appointed as licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (1904), she did her residence in the Mater Hospital, Dublin, and was awarded a diploma in public health (1905). She was active in the Women's National Health Association from its foundation (1908), attending its inaugural meeting at Leinster House, Dublin, as part of the Cork delegation, whose honorary secretary was a Mrs Richard Barry, possibly Alice's mother. Her commitment to the WNHA resulted in her taking charge, as medical officer, of the association's nine Babies Clubs in Dublin (1912–29). Having been appointed a member of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (1911), she became the first woman nominated for a fellowship of the college (July 1914); however, her presentation was quickly followed by a ruling restricting the award to men, and her candidature was withdrawn. Not till 1930 was she finally elected a fellow. She was among those who played a significant role in establishing St Ultan's Infant Hospital, which opened in Dublin in 1919; she subscribed to and collected subscriptions for the hospital, and was appointed treasurer to its organising committee on a temporary basis (1918). For many years she acted as visiting physician to the hospital and was a member of the board. As a representative of the WNHA and the Irish Medical Committee, she took part in the Irish Public Health Council report on public health and medical services in Ireland (1920), favouring the establishment of a ministry of health on the British model. For some time she was engaged as medical officer of the Kilbrittain dispensary district, Co. Cork, and was succeeded by Dorothy Stopford Price (qv) in 1921. A supporter of the republican movement, throughout the war of independence she often made her home available to republicans seeking shelter.
After four years successfully running the WNHA sanatorium at Rossclare, Co. Fermanagh, she took charge (July 1929) of the Peamount sanatorium, Newcastle, Co. Dublin. As resident medical superintendent (RMS) she developed aftercare treatment and initiated a more regular routine of activities for the child inmates. After visiting the Papworth settlement in England, she supervised the establishment of Peamount Industries. She enthusiastically supported Dorothy Price's efforts to create an anti-TB authority, and was a member of the original provisional committee of the Irish National Anti-Tuberculosis League. Throughout this period she continued attending out-patients at St Ultan's and attending its board meetings. After poor health forced her to resign as RMS of Peamount (October 1946), she continued to devote much of her time to working at St Ultan's, attending its AGM in May 1955, shortly before she died in Dublin (2 July); she never married. She was buried in Glasnevin cemetery.