Browne, O'Donel Thornley Dodwell (1903–52), gynaecologist, was born 10 April 1903 in Naas, Co. Kildare, son of O'Donel Henry Dodwell Browne, medical doctor, and Grace Lizzie Browne (née Glover). He was educated at Mourne Grange, Campbell College, and TCD. Qualifying as a medical doctor in 1925, he served as assistant master at the Rotunda (1925–8) under Dr Bethel Solomons (qv). In 1928 he became fellow of the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland. From 1931 to 1947 he was honorary gynaecologist on the staff of Sir Patrick Dun's Hospital, where he earned a reputation for his skilled and efficient operative gynaecology. In 1936 he was appointed king's professor of midwifery in TCD, and in 1937 he became a fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. For several years he practised in private nursing homes before being elected master of the Rotunda (1947); the same year he had an honorary Litt.D. degree conferred on him in Dublin University, and wrote The Rotunda Hospital 1745–1945. An examiner in midwifery and gynaecology in TCD and the Royal College of Physicians, Ireland, he was extern examiner in those subjects for QUB, NUI, and the Royal Colleges of Physicians and Surgeons, Ireland. During his years as master he proved innovative and energetic, pushing for a revision of the master system and setting up a medical records department; previously the master's ward-book had been the main source from which the annual clinical report was drawn up. He confronted the problem of tuberculosis, initiating the introduction of BCG infant vaccination in the Rotunda in 1949; also, after negotiations with Dublin corporation he oversaw the installation of a paediatric outpatient clinic (opened June 1951). One of his last acts was to write a textbook, The Rotunda text-book of midwifery for nurses (1952). His mastership of the Rotunda was cut short by his death (24 July 1952). He married (12 March 1929) Laura Hastings Tweedy.
Ir. Times, 12–30 July 1952; Alan Browne, The story of the Rotunda (1980); id., Masters, midwives and ladies-in-waiting: the Rotunda Hospital 1747–1995 (1995)