Burke, Frank (James Francis) (Feargus de Búrca) (1895–1987), republican, teacher, and sportsman, was born 8 April 1895 at Carbury, Co. Kildare, son of Henry Joseph Burke, farmer, and Maria Burke (née Kelly). One of the first pupils enrolled at Patrick Pearse's (qv) St Enda's school in 1909, he was a favourite of Pearse who described him as having ‘the daring of Cúchulainn’ and resembling him ‘in his size and darkness’ (quoted in Sisson, 130). He went on to study at UCD but continued to live and teach at St Enda's after it had moved to the Hermitage, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin. He graduated BA from UCD in 1915. Sworn into the IRB by Con Colbert (qv), he attended the inaugural meeting of the Irish Volunteers in 1913 and joined E Coy, 4th Dublin Bn, based around past pupils of St Enda's. In preparation for the Easter rising, several members of E Coy manufactured explosives and munitions at the school. With Desmond Ryan (qv) and Eamon Bulfin (1894–1968) (a trio labelled ‘the Dogs’ by Willie Pearse (qv)), Burke fought beside Patrick Pearse in the GPO during Easter week 1916. Interned in Stafford jail until the Christmas amnesty (1916), he returned to full-time general teaching duties at St Enda's. Devoted to the Pearse family and pledged to reversing the declining fortunes of the school, he relinquished his position as second lieutenant of the Rathfarnham company of the Irish Volunteers, and was inactive during the war of independence. As honorary secretary of the Pearse memorial committee he was instrumental in the campaign to purchase the Hermitage, which, with American aid, was finally effected in December 1920. Burke became headmaster of St Enda's in 1923.
A prominent advocate of Gaelic games (at which he excelled while at St Enda's), he had a long and illustrious playing career. He won four Dublin county championships with the Collegians club and in an inter-county career from 1917 to 1923 played in nine all-Ireland senior finals with Dublin, winning senior championship medals at both hurling (1917, 1920) and football (1921, 1922, 1923). He played alongside Harry Boland (qv) on the Dublin football team of 1918, and was also a member of the Dublin team that played Tipperary at Croke Park on Bloody Sunday, 21 November 1920. A candidate for the position of general secretary of the GAA in 1929, he was defeated by one vote by Pádraig Ó Caoimh (qv).
He remained as headmaster of St Enda's until it closed in 1935. He subsequently taught (1935–9) at the Garda depot, Phoenix Park, and at the VEC College, Rathmines, Dublin. In 1940 he joined the civil service staff of the pigs and bacon commission, where he remained until his retirement. He died 28 December 1987 at the Meath Hospital, Dublin, and was buried at Cruagh cemetery.
He married (22 August 1923) Angela Curran, teacher, daughter of Patrick Curran, harbourmaster, of Dungarvan, Co. Waterford; she predeceased him. They had two daughters and one son.