Butler, William Deane (c.1794–1857), architect, was apprenticed to Samuel Beazley and studied under Henry Aaron Baker (qv) at the Dublin Society's school of architectural drawing, where he won a prize (1811). The Kildare Place Society published his school designs in The schoolmaster's manual (1825); they were subsequently influential in the design of national schools. In 1837 he published a pattern book for farmhouses and cottages, Model farm-houses and cottages for Ireland and other improving countries. His practice extended throughout Ireland: he designed St Kieran's College, Kilkenny (1836–9), and his churches include two neo-Gothic catholic churches – St Cronan's, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary (begun c.1843, dedicated 1855), and Monasterevin, Co. Kildare (begun 1849) – and St Mary's cathedral, Kilkenny (completed 1857). The many fine court and market houses attributed to him include the court house (1833) and market house (c.1839), Ballyconnell, Co. Cavan, and the market house, Clones, Co. Monaghan (1844). Amiens St. (Connolly) railway station (1844–6), terminus of the Dublin & Drogheda (later the Great Northern) line, is one of the earlier Italianate buildings in Dublin: handsome and built in Wicklow granite, its tall central tower was originally designed as a lookout. He also designed other stations along the line.
In 1853 he was made architect in ordinary to the lord lieutenant. He was a fellow of the RIBA (1836) and a founding member of the RIAI and the Society of Irish Artists (president of the latter, 1845–7), and held office in the ICEI. Married (his wife's name and the date of their marriage are not known), he had at least thirteen children, including the architect John Sterling Butler. He died suddenly on 28 November 1857 at his home, 72 St Stephen's Green, Dublin.