Cotter, George Sackville (1755–1831), clergyman, poet, and translator, was most probably born in Co. Cork, the fourth and youngest son of Sir James Cotter, MP, created first baronet of Rockforest, Co. Cork, in 1763, and his wife, Arabella (née Rogerson, formerly Cassaubon), coheir of John Rogerson (qv). Having attended Westminster school, he went on to Trinity College, Cambridge, from where he graduated BA in 1775 and MA in 1779.
Ordained as a deacon in May 1776, then as a priest in November 1778 in Cork, he was licensed to the curacy of Cloyne in 1781. From 1784 to 1797 he served as vicar to the parish of Kilmichael, Co. Cork, and in 1797 he was appointed rector of Igtermurrough, and vicar of Tullinockonogh, Kilcredan and Garryvoe. Two volumes of poetry, A prospect of happiness and Poems, were both published in Cork in 1788 and were dedicated to Lady Shannon. His 1826 translation of Terence's comedies was followed by his published literal and grammatical translations of seven plays by Plautus in 1827.
He married Margaret Rogers of Cork, with whom he had four sons and at least five daughters. He lived for many years in Youghal, and died on 4 April 1831. His eldest son, the Rev. James Laurence Cotter (1782–1850), vicar of Buttevant, published his own two volumes of poetry. His youngest son, the Rev. Joseph Rogerson Cotter (1790–1868), prebendary of Donoghmore, also wrote poetry and tracts, and was noted for his musical abilities; he is said to have invented a large bass instrument, known as a basso Hibernicon.