Jellett, Henry (1872–1948), obstetrician and gynaecologist, was born 29 May 1872 at Aghinagh, Killinardrish, Co. Cork, youngest among four sons and four daughters of the Rev. Henry Jellett (1821–1901), theologian and dean of St Patrick's cathedral, Dublin, and Elizabeth Rebecca Jellett (née Morgan). He was educated in Drogheda before entering TCD, where he won a junior exhibition (1889) and graduated BA (1893), MB, B.Ch., BAO (1894) and MD (1896) (Dubl.).
He was successively appointed assistant master (1895–8) of the Rotunda Hospital, obstetrician and gynaecologist (1903–9) at Dr Steevens's Hospital, King's professor of midwifery (1909–10) at TCD, and gynaecologist (1909–10) at Sir Patrick Dun's Hospital. On becoming master (1910) of the Rotunda, he resigned his post at Sir Patrick Dun's and was obliged by the RCPI to resign his professorship at TCD. As master he extended patient accommodation, which was equipped with modern methods of hygiene, and improved student quarters. On the outbreak of the first world war his request for leave of absence to join the British army was rejected, so he resigned as master and served as commandant of the Munroe Ambulance Corps in northern Flanders (1914–17). Mentioned in despatches, he was awarded the French Croix de Guerre with two stars (1914–15), victory and war medals, and was created Chevalier de l'Ordre de la Couronne de Belgique. Returning to Ireland, he resumed his mastership (1917–19) – the Rotunda in the interim having been administered jointly by three former masters.
A skilful operator, he introduced new techniques into operative obstetrics, published papers in professional journals, and is famous for several textbooks, which became standard works with a worldwide circulation. They include A short practice of midwifery (1897; 10th ed. 1930), Practice of gynaecology for students (1900; 6th ed., with R. E. Tottenham, 1930), Short practice of midwifery for nurses (1901; 14th ed. 1945) and Manual of midwifery (1905; 4th ed., with D. G. Madill, 1929). A member of the editorial staff of the Medical Press and Circular, he edited The book of the Rotunda Hospital (1913) by T. P. C. Kirkpatrick (qv). Member (1897), fellow (1898), censor (1906–8), and examiner to the RCPI, he was also examiner for TCD (1900–01, 1918–19), the RUI (1902–5), and Manchester University. Fellow of the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland, he was elected president (1910–11) of its obstetric section and vice-president of the British Gynaecological Society.
He emigrated (1919) to New Zealand, where he became gynaecological surgeon at the North Canterbury Hospital, Christchurch, consulting obstetrician to the health department of New Zealand, and external examiner to the University of New Zealand. He published two novels, The nursing home murder (1936) with Ngaio Marsh and Much to do (1946), and a play, Wisha, God help us! (1941). A poor correspondent, he never wrote to his friends in Dublin; he was an unpopular and difficult character who did not suffer fools gladly. He spent his leisure growing apples and fishing. His brother, Dr James William Henry (1865–1943), practised in Ireland and his uncle, the Rev. John Hewitt Jellett (qv), was provost of TCD. After several years illness he died (8 June 1948) in Christchurch. He married (5 February 1903) Mary Gwendoline Leader; they had a son and a daughter.