Morrow, John Love (1859–1940), presbyterian minister and golfer, was born 14 December 1859 in Dundermott House, near Cloughmills, Co. Antrim, a younger son of Matthew Morrow, a prosperous farmer, and Margaret Morrow (née Love). John was educated locally and at Ballymena Academy. He decided to become a presbyterian minister, and studied at RBAI, QCB, Assembly's College, Belfast, and Westminster College, Cambridge, which was based at that time in London. He was licensed by the presbytery of Ballymena, and ordained 10 April 1884 as minister of Gloucester St. congregation, Dublin, then in an impoverished city-centre location. As the congregation grew under Morrow's energetic ministry, he moved it to a new church building, with a school alongside it, in the suburb of Clontarf; the new building was opened in 1890. From 1886 till his death, Morrow was a catechist in TCD, and till the foundation of the Irish Free State he was a commissioner for education in Ireland. He edited the denomination's magazine, the Presbyterian Churchman, was chaplain to the lord lieutenant, Lord Aberdeen (qv), and was moderator of the general assembly in 1929. In that year, Glasgow University awarded him the degree of DD.
Alongside his distinguished career in the church, Morrow found other outlets for his talents and energy; he travelled all round the world and climbed many European mountains, but in early middle age he became passionately interested in golf, playing off a plus handicap. He was acknowledged as the earliest and most important populariser of the game in Ireland; he was honorary secretary (1906–21) of the Golfing Union of Ireland, and was involved with several major reforms and developments within that body. On his retirement from the secretaryship, the council of the GUI recommended that he be elected to honorary life membership of all golf clubs affiliated to the GUI. He was for some years Irish correspondent of the British magazine Golf Illustrated; he laid out a new course at Rossmore, Co. Monaghan, and strongly supported the provision of public golf courses by Dublin corporation. He founded Clontarf Golf Club in 1912, and as its president (1912–39) oversaw the laying-out of its first course, and a later move to another property at Donnycarney, where an eighteen-hole course was developed.
His health failed in the last year of his life, and he died in Clontarf manse on 6 May 1940, survived by one son and by his widow, Henrietta Carden (date of marriage unknown), daughter of Lt-col. W. Frederick Despard of Lacca Manor, Co. Laois. His funeral to Deans Grange cemetery was attended by Erskine Hamilton Childers (qv), TD, representing the taoiseach, Éamon de Valera (qv), and by many friends. Morrow had been a handsome and charismatic man, who had helped reconcile differing opinions in Ireland after the civil war.