Young, Charles (1746–1825), merchant, was born in St John's parish, Limerick, probably early in March 1746, a son of William Young, a prominent merchant, and his wife, Mary (née Cahill). Another son, John Young (1746?–1813), was parish priest of Bruff, Co. Limerick, and later catholic bishop of Limerick (1796–1813). Charles Young settled in Dublin c.1780 as a wholesale merchant, with premises at 31 West New Row in the Liberties district, in partnership with Henry Lynch (1750?–1811), a native of Galway. The partnership prospered and in 1792 the two men represented their native towns at the Catholic Convention held in Dublin, Young having joined the Catholic Committee the previous year (9 February 1791). Charles Young married Margaret Hevey, Henry Lynch her sister Catherine; it seems possible that the sisters were daughters of Joseph Hevey, listed in Wilson's Dublin Directory as a grocer at 20 Thomas Street.
Charles and Margaret Young had eleven children, eight of whom survived to adulthood and, with one exception, had careers in the catholic church. The eldest, Mary Young (1783–1830), born 9 October 1783, was an Ursuline nun in Cork, as was her youngest surviving sister, Johanna (Mary Ursula) Young (qv). The third surviving sister, Catherine Young (1789–1858), the fourth child in the family, entered the Poor Clares’ convent at Harold's Cross, Dublin (1811), and was abbess for twelve years before she died (15 March 1858).
The eldest surviving son was Henry Young (qv), who like his younger brothers William and James was a priest in the Dublin diocese. William Young (1796–1859) was parish priest of Baldoyle and Howth (from 1831), built new chapels at Howth and Kinsealy, and was a keen advocate of teetotalism; he left Ireland to conduct a mission in Cornwall (1839–54), published the Catholic choralist (1842), a book of vesper hymns (some by himself), and died in London on 1 December 1859. James Young (1797?–1862) was curate at Howth (1831–41) and then parish priest in the rural parish of St Margaret's and Finglas until his death (17 September 1862). The youngest brother, Charles Young (1798–1896), born 21 December 1798, was educated at Oscott and lived for some years in Spain, becoming proficient in the Spanish language and literature. He assisted in the family business before joining the Society of Jesus (1832); he spent some years as a military chaplain in Malta but returned to Ireland (1840), divided his time between the Jesuit colleges at Tullabeg and Clongowes, and died 16 January 1896 at Tullabeg. The only son of Charles and Margaret Young not to enter the church was Sylvester (b. 1793?), who joined the family business, Lynch & Young, and was active as a catholic layman. Charles Young the elder died, wealthy, on 12 January 1825 and was buried in the Young and Lynch plot in the catholic cemetery at Mulhuddert, a few miles north-west of Dublin.